Thursday, July 30, 2015

Previewing the preview




(Hammer engraved and chased sterling elephant with faceted chrysoprase, cabbed here.
pepper tree flower. Fern. Brass sunrays. )
.


1/3 of our home is currently boxed up, but the studio will be the last to be packed and the first thing to live in our new home.

More than ever my work is the balm, the thing that smoothes me out
when I've become parched and cracked.

I have one last large offering for the 

.


(Oak leaf and seed bead trinity earrings.)

In a few weeks I take off to be with family in the midwest and then settle our life in 
Livermore's golden, undulating hills.

It's been so strangely slow in coming, but it's speeding up so much: documents, keys, painting rooms...

The collection that will be revealed Monday
is a really romantic goodbye to summer.
The last campfire at sleep-away, the one where everyone sits singing
with their arms around each other, trying not to cry.

There's a lot of emotion in saying good bye to this wonderful old house
where so much life has come to pass.
Five years in one place was the longest I've lived anywhere outside of my 
childhood home, a house so embedded in me that just thinking about it 
tugs at my solar plexus.

When I come back to work in September
I might not be offering shop updates for some time:

I may do a little swarm of custom orders because it's been FOREVER
or I may be moving more fully into leatherwork
and bags in particular.
I can't wait to tell you more.
I can't wait to KNOW more!!

Any way you cut it, things will be a little different.


I sat at the wheels this morning and cabbed/ finicky-finished these stones.
I listened to the wind whistle through our three impossibly tall palm trees,
the ones that shed violently all over the yard during winter windstorms.

Our scrub jay came close to the mudroom porch looking for peanuts.

I breathed into the place that leaving this home has already cracked.
It hurts.
It's also giddy.
It wants out/ it wants back in.

Everything's both sides now.

I'll post an official preview this weekend.

xoxoxoxo,
Sunny




3 comments:

Sybil Ann said...

You'll need to make me something with that lovely large aqua-flecked teardrop. XO

Try not to stress it - it all falls into place anyway.

Joanna DeVoe said...

Oh my! I did not know you're moving... Your home is so darling & your baby boy started his beautiful life there. I understand why it'd be a challenge to let go. Looking forward t seeing what this new chapter brings to & through you! MUCH LOVE -xo

pencilfox said...

i shall be holding you in my heart and my thoughts as you transition through life....

xoxo