Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Christmas Recipe for you



Readers and Friends, what a year it has been-
likely the most honest and rewarding of my adult life, having never roped a wild young toddler
and tempered his natural charm with a few necessary manners
and smothered him with kisses.

I cannot call him tame, I would never want to. He is wilding me.


Yes, he has begun requesting kisses. We melt into puddles daily
at his small feet.


On this fine warm California Christmas day I want to share with you 
one of the most festive recipes I have under my belt, care of my very excellent mother.
Once you've baked it you'll see, this is a rich gift indeed.


There is a lot to celebrate today, a lot to wish for.
We received some clarifying words on a situation that's broken our hearts,
words that give so much hope in the greater picture of things.
Relative blessings... isn't everything a relative blessing?


Everything lately has reminded me to use the good dishes,
spray the expensive perfume.
Hoard nothing: life is to be spent with a luxurious hand
in good clean hard work that brings satisfaction
in generosity of heart
and a well-rested soul
.


I overworked madly this month, honoring requests and falling behind.
I may have let a few folks down
by saying 'yes' when my mouth was too tired to form words
and then admitting my overreach.

I've nearly forgotten how to tend to myself.
I am working hard to remember.
How does that happen, exactly?


I've never been more excited for a new year than I am for this one
100% because of Orion and Schmilly (and those delicious bad cats),
in the delight I take loving this small and powerful family unit.


In the waning days of this year I wish you unfinished projects neatly tied
hearts mended
and souls set on fire with passion
for whatever pleases them.


From the warmest part of my heart I wish you peace
love
and a bar set high
for your well-being and abundance.


You are worth all of it and then some,
you magnificent creature.

Merry Christmas from all of us here to all of you.

xoxoxoxox,
Sunny, Schmilly and O


 
 
CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD

Makes 1 large loaf or 3 small loaves
 
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening (I use butter)
3/4 cup of orange juice
1 egg, well beaten
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
 
Heat oven to 350
 
l.  Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into medium bowl; cut in shortening (or butter) until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Beat juice, egg, and zest lightly in small bowl; add to dry ingredients, tossing with fork until mixture is evenly moistened.  Fold in cranberries.
 
2  Turn batter into lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan, or divide evenly among three 5 11/16 x 3 1/4 x 2 inch disposable foil loaf pans.  (I found pans that were not disposable.  I don't know how easy they are to locate)  Bake until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center of cake is withdrawn clean, about 1 hour for large loaf, about 45 minutes for small loaves.  Cool pans on wire rack 10 minutes; turn out bread.  Continue cooling to room temperature. 
 

4 comments:

Farm and Field said...

May the new year bring you light, love and full wells of soul, heart and creative fire.
And may we ALL mend from that heartbreak.
xx

pencilfox said...

like you, i forgot how to take care of myself.
i'm weepy and tired.
it's time to tend to life and live it to the fullest!

love all your photos, your smiling face, your allowing to be wilded.

love you, sunny allison.

xoxo

Allisunny S. said...

Love you, Brandi girl. Co

Allisunny S. said...

I thinking wilding is much better than a box further constricted...he is setting me free. Love to you. Xo