Monday, January 11, 2010

Portuguese Beach/ The Bodega Dunes





Oh, the Pacific.
One of the Seven Sisters who always manages to pull out what hurts and clean the wound with a clarifying hand.

I came to the sea confused, waiting for an answer that will affect our future deeply and I came away allowing the question to live in my life with grace.
It won't be long now.

We were with Anthony's family; my family now, too....

I told Anthony how nice it must be for him to have a wife that continues the family tradition of digging for things in the sand and in the dirt:
 my Mama 2 (Bonnie) sits right down in a trove of beach rocks and hunts for beauty, just like me!


And oh my OH what incredible treasures we found.... sand dollar, bird cranium, driftwood, agate...

Beach glass, shell fragment, jade, worry stones....

Laughter, SkipBo, hobo hamburgers, freezing cold shower badges, racoons in the garbage cans, coffee with condensed milk, heart-to-hearts, starting a campfire, PJs all morning, stories from when it all began.....


Patience, insight, a heart full of love and family.

The best gifts you cannot ever see with the eye: they are in the ether, a tale waiting to be shared again, a memory floating above the more difficult day-to-day,
whispering words like 'hold on' and 'soon'.

xoxo,
Allison

17 comments:

Brooke Arin Medlin said...

Coming to your blog and finding a new post always makes my day. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Allison, I always love your blogs. They are always so beautiful and real. Your ocean findings are awesome!!! And the pics amazing as always! Have a beautiful day my friend!

MrsLittleJeans said...

Lovely post Allison, wishing u a delighful week!

xox


and btw, treasure the beach glass...they are becoming very scarce : )

Runs4fun said...

This is one mighty special post. I love the photo of you and your lovely mama2! I too agree---you are so articulate and yet so very down-to-earth:) Sending extra love to you today...

Corinna said...

So beautiful and thoughtful as always. And what magical photos!! Making the most of the new camera!

This northern prairie girl can really get behind a beachy sunset photo spread... mmmmmmm (I am looking out my window and the snowdrifts become sanddunes, and waves of slush become salty and hypnotic.)

xo

Allisunny S. said...

Thank you my sweet friends....

Brooke: you are a delight :)

Heather: You have a beautiful day, too - picking out your turquoise today :)

MLJ: You too! And yes, I will treasure them :)

Runs: Aw, thank you! I am lucky enough to have a mother-in-law that I love soooo much - my father-in-law, too!!! Sending you love, too, lovely :)

Corinna: when I lived in NYC I used stand on the platform for the Astoria N in the dead of winter, looking out over the building tops at the sunrise (I went to work earrrrrly) and imagining the sun rising over the beach... imagining that the pigeons were gulls. I love those memories :)

xoxoxox,
A

Petals said...

Beautiful post thank you so much for sharing.

susie said...

Beautiful - looks like you have an abundance of lovely treasures (not just the beach glass either). So wonderful for you have found an extended family with your in-laws.

Runs4fun said...

haha...i didn't even notice the name thing! too funny. now i see:)

AppaloosaMoon said...

...i'm on that platform...Astoria N...right now... & DREAMING big time...thank you for showing me another place to visit...in 2010...

Adrienne said...

Visiting that area is one of my favorite mempories from my trip to to the west coast last year. Lovely photos and lovely words~

Adrienne

studio.delucca said...

oooh -- one of my FAVORITE PLACES! thanks SOOO much for sharing the photos!

I used to live in Marin (both San Rafael + Fairfax). my heart still lives there in so many ways.

Dave Schipper said...

And you are bundled up because it's what 40 degrees maybe... HA..

great blog... thanks.

dave

UmberDove said...

When I see your photos the truth that I dearly miss that exact stretch of coastline grabs me up and I'm halfway out the door running home to California. All these places are thick in my blood, and I sense it will not be much longer before my work up here is done and I start packing my bags.




And I'm perfectly [and absolutely] envious of that gorgeous skull.


I love beach detritus.

Unknown said...

Inspiring photos, my fav is the last one. Very beautiful!

Emily L. said...

Mmmm, what lovely images.

E said...

What a wonderful poem. Just days after the death of my sister, I saw a snowy owl sitting on the beach. We stared at each other for quite a while. It was mostly white, meaning it was quite old. A gift of life I will never, ever forget.