Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Calm Before The Calm

.
This old house is about as sparkling as it can get right now
and its inhabitants are patiently awaiting the visitors we are about to welcome aboard

He's just resting up so that he's awake for after-dinner tea, trust.

There is something so lovely and fresh about those hours before company comes:
everything is ready and the future memories tremble impatiently for their chance to be
made

Today I went to the grocery store and got the ingredients for a hearty free-range steer stew -
I think I must be in need of iron, as beef is normally what's not for dinner around here.

I find my energy levels returning
and my stomach still rebelling just as it's done for months now-
I'll take what I can get!

There is something far more 'normal' to me about feeling queasy while having the inner resources to continue moving and doing
as opposed to the first-trimester deep fatigue that
mostly just reduced me to a teary, sleepy mess as I struggled to eat.

Now I reserve my tears for pet-adoption videos
volunteer opportunity commercials,
poignant Star Trek plots
and The Millenium Trilogy -
Lisbeth Salander commands a rather surprising chunk of my heart right now...
what a breathtaking character.


It will be nice to have some non-media-related emotions
around here during daylight hours

for this woman with two heartbeats.

xoxo,
Allison


11 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

Star Trek plots you say? You are speaking my language! I spent my first trimester with my oldest camped out on the couch watching The Next Generation. I had to laugh when she was older and the show came on. She'd always stop what she was doing when the theme song came on and watch. I swear it was like she recognized it!

Allisunny S. said...

Amy - that is toooo cute!!! My husband is a huuuge fan of Next Generation and he was telling me about the episode where Captain Picard's memory was erased and he lived this whole other life on some planet and had a family, etc and learned how to play the flute and then when it was all over he played the flute as captain Picard and I lost. my. stuffing. I nearly had to pull over as I was driving. I think I'll save the actual watching of the show until I KNOW I can handle the emotions ;) xoxo

MrsLittleJeans said...

how i wish i were a cat in your house! memories waiting to be made, so sweet..steer sounds like a big animal : )

a lovely post and great to see you xx

Amy Nicole said...

That was a great episode! And a tear jerker.. Keep the tissues handy!

Allisunny S. said...

Mona - Come on up and be a feline for a day!! You can lay about with Jones and Janey would sleep on your feet :) xoxox

Cat said...

true true
waiting for the company is all part of it isn't it
have a wonderful time!

love and light

AppaloosaMoon said...

oh the pitter patter of big feet & little feet warm the heart...& the quiet before, soothes the soul!

UmberDove said...

Ok. Dude. DUDE. You have watched Battlestar Galactica, right? Baby Sunny would be SO into it, I'm positive.


You and your two heartbeats. I can't wait to hug them both.

emilyclare said...

your green walls make me swoon like crazy...

p.s. I just happened to stumble across gelatinous coconut squares in a jar at the asian market recently, I felt very triumphant bringing them home... upon enjoying some in a glass of cold tea I thought of you. And how refreshing your soul is. too.

nova by tess said...

I love the books about Salander (swedish author you know!). If you ever get to see the movies (of course the books are way better) make sure you see the swedish ones. I heard they are making american versions now which makes me kind of sad cause the original ones are amazing.

Dave Schipper said...

I echo the sentiment on the NG Star Trek.... probably the best TV show out there in syndication.