Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nata

Nata de Coco, that is!!

Anthony had the pleasure of going to an Asian grocery store on Friday
with his team, and he remembered my guilty, terrible pleasure:

gelatin coconut cubes in sugar water.

When we lived in Los Angeles, my favorite mom & pop grocery store
(Marina Farms, for those who live there - it's near Lincoln and Jefferson)
stocked these chewy little gems
and I remember distinctly a few months where they had none-
I think I may have been the reason they restocked,
if just to stop me from asking when they might be in again
each time I went in for onions or pomegranates.

Today has been a tough day on the stomach, and so I filled a cheerful glass
full of ice
and spooned a few cubes of the opaque delicacy, waiting five minutes or so for
a supreme drop in their temperature,
an extra firmness in their bite...

They were delicious and refreshing
and just as weird as I remember them to be...

More than anything, I love that Anthony saw the big jar and thought to bring them home to me - he's sweeter than coconut gelatin in syrup.

What's your weird food love?

xoxox,
Allisunny

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I used to live right around the corner from Marina Farms - such a great little market!!

My comfort/queasy stomach food is a cold can of mandarin oranges.

Allisunny S. said...

Jennifer - right??? The world is so small :)

Oooh, your comfort food sounds delicious!

kerin rose said...

I am boring...chocolate...just chocolate....
but
its gotta be the good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that before, but it looks yummy!

Allisunny S. said...

Kerin- chocolate cures all ills, lovely one - you know this xo

Liz- oh but they are :) xo

Kelly said...

Well, I don't have anything quite as interesting & different, I suppose my old stand by for strange cravings are olives, green, Kalamata, oh really any kind, even stuffed olives...yep, boring, I know.

emilyclare said...

oh lordy, I'd eat these delights for sure... they remind me of a great comfort-craving of mine for tapioca pearls (balls of chewy tapioca deliciousness) in a strong brewed roasted green tea - cold of course. Oh... I'm yet to find such delights in paris/france. I've been trying to convince Alex on a train trip to London so we can get some...

Tasha Imajin said...

I LOVE that mug! Something out of that would cure all that isn't right. I have never heard of those odd little jiggly cubes before! Right now I'm savoring ice cold organic grapes. They're so delicious it's like eating candy.

Allisunny S. said...

Kelly - no, not boring at all: Lucques Olives are a bit of a savory lifesaver for me :)

Emily: if you lived near I'd take you out for tapioca balls: I used to work at a place in Los Angeles that specialized in boba drinks, as they called them: sublime months, those were :) xoxoxox

Tasha - oh YES - cold grapes, even better they're organic!! A missive flies to you today :) xoxoxo