Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween in Petaluma




I returned early to Petaluma - may I confess the reason? I missed my husband, our kitties and our home. The look on his face when he walked in to see me there for the first time in over a week was priceless and purely joyful for me.

Anthony is the best of the best of everything and he's my husband - don't know who wouldn't rush home to a love like this as soon as a body could.

This year for Halloween we decided to carve pumpkins and buy candy for the neighborhood kids, who would surely come through in droves (can you catch the foreshadowing of the opposite here?)


we had so much fun carving and scooping out the seeds, which made a rather tasty treat when drizzled in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and 21 Season Salute and toasted until the looked like sunshine!

Mmmmmm...
We all watched carefully for nightfall and waited in anticipation for the children:

Can't you see the hope in his blue eyes??


Alas, it was never to be: at around 8:00 P.M. two un-costumed pre-teenagers came to the door and I gave them nearly all of our three bags of candy - they thought they won the lottery and I chuckled at the irony of it all:

I had lived in apartments since I was out of my parents' home at 18, and so I was soooo excited to be in a house in a little sleepy town that would have tons of little ghouls and goblins seeking candy...

instead I fed a few delightfully thrilled boys whose voices had already begun to change!!


Still, what a lovely day of rest, fun and homecoming kisses!

10 comments:

only daydreaming said...

love your white pumpkin and that last picture with your kitty is too cute.

we did not turn on our porch light and put a sign on the door that we had no candy.

when the neighbor kids saw us outside grilling dinner and starting walking our way only to discover the sign on our door we had to admit to them that we totally sucked. oh well.

p.s. I've been wearing my gold tipped feather necklace everyday. I love it so much.

Liz said...

Oh, rats...but that photo of Jones at the window is priceless!

Glad you are home!

Allisunny S. said...

Sensitive: I am so glad you love your necklace: and I could have sent you MY candy to give out ;) !!

Ann!!!! Isn't he something? Pat Karl and Bob for me and happy Halloween to you!

Rosy Revolver said...

Welcome home, Sunny lady! I'm glad it was a sweet, albeit quiet, homecoming!

Jaime/GirlLovesGloss said...

Similar to here - my whole life we never got many kids. ( we lived in a house right before a little village full of shops, as the last house on the street we rarely got kids come all that way) My mother actually called me at about 8:30 last night because she was so excited - 3 preteen girls came to the house! She was just happy to give away some of the candy lol

Desiree said...

Ha! That last photo is priceless!!

Kiki said...

Poor disappointed kitty! Where I live, there's usually quite a bit of activity, but this Halloween, everything felt pretty subdued. I'm not sure why, but I hope it does happen again next year!
P.S. I love those pale pumpkins!

susie said...

Your posts always bring a smile to my face- looks like a wonderful Halloween holiday was had (love that last pic with the kitty in the window)

Corinna said...

Welcome back!! Hope you had a lovely musical adventure.
xo

Cindy said...

So sorry you did not have lots of children at your door on Halloween. We live in an old neighborhood and we literally have 100's of kids every Halloween. We gave away about 800 pieces of candy (more than 1 piece per kid) and enjoyed every minute of it. Young kids are sooooo much fun at Halloween. Even the teenagers were fun this year!